Reflections in the right context can be things of beauty – but not when they get in the way of viewing the artwork.
FOR REPLACEMENT GLASS FOR FRAMES and MIRRORS – Please visit the Gallery in Uckfield with the frame
Standard regular picture glass (float) is approximately 2mm thick and is reflective. We recommend for larger framing projects that a thicker standard glass is used for ease of moving.
Diffused Glass (etched)
Known as the “non Reflective” glass. We have found our customers either love it or hate it (due to the slight loss of sharpness). It is diffused which means it has an etched quality to it.
- We recommend, it works well when placed near to the artwork and will diffuse the light and is NOT suitable for box frames as it looks cloudy when placed at a distance from the image.
- AR Glass – is becoming much more popular, however is more expensive.
AR Glass – ULTIMATE CLARITY !!!!
A clear non reflective glass (not etched). Unlike diffused glass this glass has a very low iron content. Also called waterwhite, clear colour …
- Great Clarity
- Low iron content glass gives zero colour shift
- More manufacturers produce this product, hence the dramatic reduction in cost.
- Available with UV Protection (this is more costly)
- We recommend this AR glass for the clarity and especially on object framing.
Conservation Glass – UV Filter
Conservation Clear Standard glass offers high level of UV protection from exposure to indoor and outdoor light rays. (Museum Glass)
- Conservation glass effectively blocks upto 99% of UV light rays to protect the artwork.
- Available in AR Glass
- More expensive
Acrylic Glazing can vary greatly in quality. For a quality piece of acrylic there are various advantages.
- 30 times more scratch resistant than normal plastic
- Many times the impact resistance of glass with no splinters if broken
- Less than half the weight of glass, great for oversized artworks
- Available with UV Filter or Diffused
- Quality acrylic is not the less expensive option.
Mirror glass comes in various thickness sizes.
- Silvered Mirror Glass
- Bevelled Mirror Glass (4mm)
- Antiqued Silver Mirror Glass
- Safety Backed Mirror
Please contact us to discuss your specific requirements. As we stock speciality glass by the sheet and cut ourselves (except oversized) – we can offer great prices.